Listed below are a number of useful links to archives, libraries, and historical societies in the region and nationally. A separate page has been developed for regional genealogical and historical societies. To connect to online catalogs in the region and nationally, consult the NDSU Libraries' Other Library Catalogs.
North Dakota State University
- Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
- Emily P. Reynolds Historic Costume Collection
- Center for Heritage Renewal
- Fargo History Project: An NDSU Public History Initiative
- State Historical Society of North Dakota
- University of North Dakota Chester Fritz Library, Elwyn B. Robinson Dept. of Special Collections
Great Plains Centers
- Canadian Plains Research Center, Regina, Saskatchewan
- Center for Great Plains Studies, Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas
- Center for Great Plains Studies, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Center for Western Studies, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Cass County Historical Society (Bonanzaville U.S.A.), West Fargo, N.D.
- Concordia College Archives, Moorhead, Minn.
- Historical & Cultural Society of Clay County, Moorhead, Minn.
- Hudson's Bay Company Archives, Provincial Archives of Manitoba
- Manitoba Provincial Archives
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minnesota State University Moorhead, University Archives - Northwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Montana Historical Society
- South Dakota State Historical Society
- South Dakota State University, Archives & Special Collections
- University of Manitoba, Dept. of Archives and Special Collections University of Minnesota, Archives & Special Collections
- University of South Dakota, Special Collections
- Archives Library Information Center (ALIC) Designed by the National Archives to provide quick access to the type of ready-reference tools needed by archivists and records managers.
- ARMA International - Association of Records Managers and Administrators, Inc. A professional association of over 10,000 records and information management professionals in the United States, Canada, and around the world.
- Library of Congress Provides a wide array of information regarding its collections and services. American Memory consists of primary source and archival materials relating to American culture and history. The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC) features direct access to its online cataloging of archival collections.
- Midwest Archives Conference (MAC) MAC is the nation's largest regional professional association for archivists, founded in 1972. The MAC region consists of the thirteen heartland states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) Government agency responsible for overseeing the management of the records of the federal government.
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers Library of Congress digitized U.S. Newspapers from 1863-1922.
- Repositories of Primary Sources A listing of over 5000 websites describing holdings of manuscripts, archives, rare books, historical photographs, and other primary sources for the research scholar.
- Society of American Archivists The Society of American Archivists serves the educational and informational needs of its members and provides leadership to help ensure the identification, preservation, and use of the nation's historical record.