August 23, 2013
Welcome to the North Dakota State University Libraries Website
NDSU Libraries have had a busy summer implementing a number of new services for this academic year!
I invite you to explore our new Libraries website, which now features our new integrated library system. NDSU teamed with Ex Libris Group, which services academic and research libraries internationally, to implement our cloud-based system, Alma, and discovery layer, Primo, which replace our former multiple-system infrastructure with a unified framework for resource management and discovery. The implementation of our new system is a central part of our strategy to reimagine library services. Not only will our new unified system make your discovery experience more seamless, but it is enabling us to realize substantial cost efficiencies and make better use of staff resources supporting daily operations. You can now search most of our resources simultaneously using our new search box, HerdSearch, on the Libraries’ main web page.
The Libraries have also added more databases and online journals to support your teaching, learning, and research, including such new offerings as the ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library, Historical Abstracts Full Text, International Pharmaceutical Abstracts, JAMA Internal Medicine, Kraus Curriculum Development Library, Lancet, the LexisNexis Academic database, Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests, and Philosopher's Index. For a complete list of online titles, go to http://guides.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/databases.
You can now more easily order books or journal articles NDSU Libraries do not currently own or provide direct access to through our enhanced interlibrary loan service (ILLiad). For more information on how to set up and utilize your ILLiad account, please go to http://library.ndsu.edu/borrow-other-libraries-ill.
Please explore the Libraries virtually from anywhere, including your residence hall, home or office. Visit us in person at the Main Library or at our Branches and other locations (go to http://library.ndsu.edu for hours of operation). Especially,
- Check out the new furniture and equipment at our Barry Hall Branch and in our study rooms in the Main Library.
- You can now conveniently reserve a Main Library group study room from your mobile device (go to http://library.ndsu.edu/reserving-group-study-room).
- Schedule a research session with one of the subject librarians, or ask a question at our reference desks, via IM or through email.
- Mark your calendars for our Annual Open House to be held Wednesday through Saturday of homecoming week, October 9-12. We will feature a series of guest training sessions provided by leading vendors, including APA, Elsevier, and Sage.
- Consider attending our Monthly Speaker Series and other special events as advertised via our homepage.
- Or just drop in to our Coffee House for the best $1.00 cup of coffee on campus!
I welcome your questions and your ideas on how we can better support your scholarly activities. I would particularly appreciate your feedback regarding our new services. Your thoughts and comments are important to us as we plan for future service enhancements.
Wishing you a great semester,