Joseph's Colony: 1905 - 1930
Pictures and Pages on the Silver Jubilee of St. Joseph's Colony
Compiled by the Oblate Priests in the colony. Translation from
German to English by Lambert and Tillie Schneider, 1930, 215 pages, 80 illustrations,
2 maps, softcover.
here to view photographs from book
The Germans from Russia Heritage Collection is pleased to present
this important publication, St. Joseph's Colony: 1905 - 1930.
St. Joseph's Colony was very important in the settlement of the
Catholic Germans from Russia south of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The
translators have provided an important work of great value to the
missionary work and settlement on the Saskatchewan prairies. Many
of the German-Russian immigrants came from the Black Sea and Volga
German colonies of South Russia.
In the Translator's Preface, Lambert and Tillie Schneider state
the following: The original book St. Joseph's Kolonie, 1905 -
1930, was written by Father W. Schulte, O.M.L., who refers to
himself occasionally during the text as the Chronist (chronicler).
In his modesty, he omitted his name on the title page. In translating
the work, every effort was made to preserve the mood and essence
of the German expressions. However, as in any translation, the subjective
qualities are often modified and sometimes even lost."
"It is hoped that this English version of the book, which was
published in 1930 in the German script, will awaken memories in
many of us and provide the younger generations with a general picture
of the hardships endured by the pioneer missionaries and settlers
in St. Joseph's Colony in Western Canada."
Interesting sections in the book include: "Description of the
Country," "Spiritual Care," and "Statistics of the Colony." The
founding, growth and development of the parishes within the St. Joseph's Colony include: Broadacres, Denzil, Carmelheim, Grosswerder,
Handel, Holy Rosary, Kerrobert, Leipzig, Macklin, Primate, Revenue,
St. Donatus, St. Francis, St. John, St. Peter, Salvador, Scott,
Tramping Lake, and Wilkie.
Here are the statistics in March, 1930, for the St. Joseph's Colony:
1,326 Catholic families of which 1,186 were German, 11 Oblate Priests,
17 parishes, 5 missions, 17 churches, 2 church basements, 2 chapels,
2,026 Catholic school children, 50 Catholic school teachers, one
convent at Leipzig, one Catholic hospital at Macklin, and sisters
in Leipzig, Macklin, Revenue, and Tramping Lake.
Even the advertising found at the end of the book are most interesting:
The Catholic Colonization Association of Winnipeg, Manitoba; Volksvereins
Deutsch Canadischer Katholisen; Catholic Immigrant Aid Society;
Hamburg-Amerika Linie Schiffsfarten Hamburg nach Kanada direkt (advertising
are in German and English languages).
St. Joseph's Colony: 1905-1930
$25 plus Shipping & Handling