Historical Sketches of the Parishes of the Diocese
of Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan 1930 - 1955
Prepared by the Diocese of Gravelbourg, Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan,
1955, 112 pages, softcover.
The Germans from Russia Heritage Collection is pleased to make
available the publication Historical Sketches of the Parishes
of the Diocese of Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan 1930 - 1955.
The publication includes the parish of Prelate where a majority
of the early settlers arrived around 1909-1910 from South Russia
including the Crimea, Romania, eastern Canada, and the United States
especially the Dakotas. In 1919, the Ursuline Sisters established
themselves in Prelate with their motherhouse of St. Angela's Convent
which still exists today including a girl's high school.
The parish of Blumenfeld built the beautiful Sts. Peter and Paul
Church and was the mother church of the Prelate District. Family
names include: Hoffart, Guckert, Duchscherer, Drescher, Ziebert,
Riffel and Weisgerber.
The parish of Liebenthal founded by German-Russian settlers in
1910 included these families: Dirk, Wingenbach, Gross, Wagner, Hopfauf,
Hittel, Ibach, Sehn, Hintz, Seifer, Scherger, Kiss, Tumbach, Wist,
Folk and Lutz. The remote beginnings of the parish of Fox Valley
are in Krassna, Saskatchewan, and was founded by German-Russian
|St. Mary's Church
and rectory, Fox Valley, Saskatchewan.
Sts. Peter and Paul
Church, Blumenfeld, Saskatchewan.
$20 plus Shipping & Handling
to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested
by contacting Michael